The aim of the Peace and Justice Initiative is to encourage the national adoption of laws under which crimes against humanity, genocide and war crimes can be prosecuted. Our ultimate goal is universal national implementation of the ICC Statute.
The Peace and Justice Initiative focuses on:
1. Assisting in the development of the legal framework for the implementation of the ICC Statute.
- Expert advice to working groups on implementation issues relating to the ICC Statute
- Assistance in reviewing existing laws for compatibility with the ICC Statute
- Technical review of draft ICC implementing legislation
- Capacity building workshops for legislative draftersAssisting in the development of the legal framework for the implementation of the ICC Statute
2.Building capacity in the legal and related professions for handling core crimes cases.
Organising activities such as trainings, workshops, seminars, peer-to-peer meetings for the requirements of:
- Judges and judicial assistants,
- War crimes investigators (including on issues relating to forensic and military analysis),
- Defence Counsel,
- Registry officials (including on issues of protections of victims and witnesses).
3. Awareness raising activities and building long term structural capacity.
Courses, seminars, lectures delivered in partnership with:
- Professional Associations
- Judicial Training Institutes
- Law Schools and Universities